Saturday, July 3, 2010

Germany to Brussels today

So it was game day in Deutschland, and it's amazing. Even in Brussels where I am now, vuvuzelas and car horns are blaring into the night after huge wins from Germany and Spain. In Heidelberg, every car was flying a German flag, faces were painted, everyone was ready to party from the beginning of the day til the end, especially with the results as they happened. I've been to Neyland Stadium on game day before, and there's the sea of Orange and white that's always there, that didn't really compare to what we saw today... I mean it, every single person wore their German pride, some even dressed in actual flags, now that I think of it.

We screwed up our scheduling a bit but wanted to see Heidelberg castle this morning so we wanted a late train out, that was before thinking about the 4pm game against Argentina. We saw most of the first half in a bar at the station, but didn't get to watch the rest, though we got score updates every time Germany scored. We got to the platform in Frankfurt just in time for the game to actually end. As I posted in someone's FB status, you'd think a train crashed it was so loud, again... amazing.

We arrived in Brussels for the last few minutes of the Spain vs Paraguay game and when that one ended, pretty much all the Espana flags in Belgium came out, along with all the Spaniards screaming, honking, and waving them insanely. I would have never known there is such a large amount of folks from Spain here, but apparently their are many... same with Germans for the most part.

Last night's hostel was ridiculous in regards to sleep. It was around 80 degrees out all night, and humid as a summer day in Tenn. It was sick, I think I slept a few minutes of the entire night. We actually got a hotel in Brussels, extremely posh I should add... so I'm hoping to get a great amount of sleep tonight. Though, I think I'm on the border of being sick, so let's hope a nice night in a hotel can fix that a bit. I think I'm running a fever so I told Anthony I'd pass on going out tonight, since I know tomorrow's gonna be a big day.

That's about all for now I guess, gonna try to get some sleep... It's just past midnight on July 4th, so happy 4th of July to everyone back home.

No comments: